Skip to Main Content


What is Portability?

Portability is the process that allows an eligible Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) applicant or participant to move anywhere in the United States where there is a housing agency operating the Federal HCV program.

Port Out Process

  • Portability Move Out (Port Out) is when an eligible family moves from Lincolnton to another city or county.
  • If you wish to Port Out, you must contact your Housing Specialist in writing to advise of the request.
  • Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible.
  • Applicants must have received their voucher and lived in Lincolnton when they registered on the waiting list.
  • Participants must be eligible to receive a voucher to move.
  • If eligible, your paperwork will be e-mailed, mailed or faxed to the new housing agency.
  • Once your paperwork is sent to the new agency, you must follow all their policies and rules.

Port In Process

Portability Move-In (Port In) is when an eligible family moves from another city or county into Lincolton.

Lincolnton Housing Authority
Attn: Incoming Portability
P.O. Box 753
Lincolnton, NC 28093
Phone: 704.735.2221
Fax: 704.735.4858

  • If you wish to Port In to Lincolnton, you must contact your current housing agency.
  • Your current housing agency determines if you are eligible to move to Lincolnton.
  • Portability paperwork can be sent by mail or faxed.
  • Once your portability paperwork is received, you will be contacted for an intake appointment.
  • After your paperwork is processed, you will be invited to a briefing appointment, where you will receive your voucher.